Department of Development and Planning
Rendsburggade 14 2nd floor, DK-9000 Aalborg, Denmark
Phone: +45 99 40 83 09
Publications and Citations (october 2017)
- Thomson Reuters Highly Cited Researcher within Engineering since 2014: Link
- Web of Knowledge: 98 Articles and h index = 45 (8000+ citations) Link to ResearcherID
- Scopus: 136 articles and h index = 51 (10000+ citations) Link to Scopus
- Research Gate: 170+ publications and h index = 53 (11000+ citations) Link to ResearchGate
- Google Scholar: 400+ publications and h index = 56 (15000+ citations) Link to GoogleScholar
Primary University Education
- Dr.Techn. Choice Awareness and Renewable Energy Systems 2009
- Ph.D in Implementation of Sustainable Energy Systems 1990
- M.sc. Engineering 1985
- English for Academic purposes II, Aalborg University 1991
- English for Academic purposes I, Aalborg University 1990
- The Secretarial Certificate in Specialised Language for Business in English 1989
- Economics & Planning of Generation and Transmission Systems, University of London 1989
- HD part 1. (Bachelor of Economics part I), Aalborg University 1984
- Professor, Aalborg University 2006 - present
- Associate Professor, Aalborg University 1993 -2006.
- Assistant Professor, Aalborg University, 1990 - 1993.
- Ph.D.-student, Aalborg University, 1986 - 1990.
- Consultant engineer, PlanEnergi s/i, 1985-1986.
- Research Fellow, Aalborg University, 1985.
- Traineeship at the Amsterdam Power Station (Gemeentelijk Energie bedrijf) 1982
Vising Professor positions
- Visiting Professor, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China, November 2019
- Visiting Professor, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China, November 2015
- Visiting Professor, Università degli Studi di Napoli "Parthenope", Napoli, Italy, February 2015
- Visiting Professor, Shainghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China, October 2011
- Visiting Professor, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, September 2010
- Libra Professor, University of Main at Fork Kent, April 2010
- Head of Research Group (staff = approx. 25 persons) 2016 – present
- Head of Section (staff = approx. 50 persons), 2014 – 2016.
- Member of Academic Council 2008 – present
- Member of the Faculty Council 2002-2008
- Head of Research Group (staff = approx. 20 persons) 2002 – 2014.
- Head of Department (Staff = approx. 200 persons) 1996 – 2002.
- Member of the faculty council 1990 - 1996.
- Board member of “GRØN ENERGI". 2015 - ongoing
- Member of “Energifonden” (EnergyFoundation). 2011 – 2018
- Manager of "Geest Enge & Lunde" Wind turbine company (225 kW Vestas), 2001-2007.
- Member of "Energisparepuljen" (Danish Energy Saving Funds). 2004 - 2010.
- Board member of "Vaarst Wind Turbine Company" (150 kW Bonus), 1988-2005.
- Member of the representative of "Himmerlands electricity supply", 1994-2003.
- President of "Himmerlands Energy and Environmental Office", 1995-2002.
- President of "Vaarst Vestervang" housing community, 1990-1995.
- Energy System Analysis: Methods and models for the design and the evaluation of technical and environmental consequences of energy systems with emphasise on integrated distributed generation technologies such as energy conservation, CHP and renewable energy.
- Feasibility Studies: Methods of socioeconomic feasibility studies with emphasise on employment and balance of payment consequences of the development and implementation of new technologies.
- Public Regulation and Technological Change: Analysis and design of public regulation measures in a market economy with emphasise on the implementation of environmental objectives and technological change in the energy sector.
Affiliation with scientific journals:
- Editor-in-Chief of ENERGY - The International Journal (Elsevier)
- Associate Editor of Energy Strategy Reviews (Elsevier)
- Associate Editor of International journal of Energy Technology and Policy (Inderscience)
- Member of Editorial Board of Renewable Energy (Elsevier)
- Member of Editorial Board of Applied Energy (Elsevier)
- Member of Editorial Board of Energy Conversion and Management (Elsevier)
- Member of Editorial Board of International journal of Alternative Propulsion (Inderscience)
- Member of Editorial Board of Energies (MDPI AG, Basel, Switzerland)
- Guest Editor of Special Issue of International Journal for Sustainable Energy on Distributed Generation, Volume 23, Number 4, December 2003.
- Guest Editor of Special Issue of Journal of Cleaner Production on Sustainable Deveopment in Practice, Volume 15, Issue 3, February 2007.
- Guest Editor of Special Issue of Utilities Policy on Sustianable Energy and Tranportation Systems, Volume 16, Issue 2, June 2008.
- Guest Editor of Special of Applied Energy on 100 Percent Renewable Energy Systems, Volume 88, Issue 2, February 2011.
- Reviewer for among others: Energy Policy (Elsevier); Journal of Cleaner Production (Elsevier); International Journal of Hydrogen Energy (Elsevier); Journal of Power and Energy; CLEAN AIR. International Journal on Energy for a Clean Environment (EDC); Thermal Science. International scientific journal; International Journal of Global Energy Issues; Applied Thermal Engineering; Journal of Civil Engineering and Management; European Journal of Operational Research; IET Renewable Power Generation; International Journal of Environmental Studies
Technical advisor/evaluator to
- Research Council for Natural Sciences and Engineering at the Academy of Finland (2018-2019)
- Linnaeus University, Sweden (2017)
- Research Council of Norway (2016)
- Tallinn University of Technology (2016)
- Research Council for Natural Sciences and Engineering at the Academy of Finland (2015)
- European Research Council (2013 and 2015 and 2016)
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Reserach Council, UK (2013)
- Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology (2012)
- Strategic Public Policy Research Grants Council of Hong Kong (2011)
- Velux fondene (2011)
- Science Foundation Ireland (2010)
- The Faroese Research Council (2010)
- The National Priorities Research Program (NPRP) of the Qatar National Research Fund (2010-2014)
- EUDP, The national Danish Research and Demonstration program (2008-2009)
- Unity through Knowledge Fund (UKF) of the Croatian Ministry of Science, 2007
- The Research Council of Norway, 2006-2007
- Norwegian Centre for International Cooperation in Higher Education (SIU), 2006-2007.
- The Danish Council for Strategic Research, 2005.
- Science and Technology Foundation, Ministry of Science, Portugal, 2004.
- University of Luxembourg Research Programme, 2004.
- EPSRC (Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council) UK, 2003
- The Danish Supreme Court , 2002-2005
- Danish Energy Research Programme, 2000-2002
- Danish Biogas Organisation, 1992
- Ishøj municipality, 1991
- Vester Hjermitslev Energy Company, 1990
- The City Council Alderman of Energy Supply , the municipality of Århus, 1987-1989
- Gold medal in 1998 for "Best Research Paper Award" within the area "Energy Policies &Economics" by "International Energy Foundation". ENERGEX´98, Bahrain 1998.
- Teacher of the year at the Study board of Surveying and Planning, Aalborg University, 1994.
- Head of 4DH (Strategic Research Centre for 4th Generation District Heating Technologies and Systems) financed by the Danish Council for Strategic Research involving 32 university and industrial partners in Denmark, Sweden, Croatia and China. 2012-2017. www.4DH.dk
- Head of Startegic Research Project CEESA (Coherent Energy and Environmental System Analysis). 2007-2011. www.CEESA.dk
- Coordinator of the EU 6th framework program DESIRE (Dissemination Strategy on Electricity Balancing for Large Scale Integration of Renewable Energy). 2005-2007. www.project-desire.org
- As head of department responsible for the implementation of more than 150 research project with a turnover of approximately 80 million DKK from 1996-2002. Personal involved in a number of research projects and committee works in Danish energy planning, and in the implementation of various local energy projects.
- Project leader of "Local energy markets", financed by Danish Energy Research Programme, 2001-2003.
- Project leader of "Import and employment consequences of Danish energy investments", financed by SiD and the Danish Energy Research Programme, 1994-1998.
MEMBER OF CONFERENCE SCIENTIFIC BOARDS
- Conference chair of the internationalal conferences of Smart Energy Systems and 4th Generation District Heating (SES4DH) 2015 and onwards: www.4dh.dk
- Member of Scientific Advisory Board to the Conferences on Sustainable Development of Energy, Water and Environment Systems SDEWES, 2005 and onwards: www.sdewes.org
- Member of international Scientific committee Energy Saving and Pollution Reduction (PRESS) 2010 and onwards: www.conferencepres.com/
- Member of Scientific committee to the international conferences of Contemporary Problems of Thermal Engineering (CPOTE) 1998 and onwards: www.itc.polsl.pl/CPOTE2016
- Member of Scientific Committee of the International Conferences on Efficiency, Cost, Optimization, Simulation and Environmental Impact of Energy Systems (ECOS) 2010 and onwards. www.ecos2016.si
- Member of Scientific Committee of the International Conferences on Energy & Environment: bringing together Economics and Engineering (ICEE) 2013 and onwards: www.fep.up.pt/conferences/icee
- Member of Board of Directors of IEF, International Energy Foundation, 2005-present.
- Organiser of special technical session on Distributed Generation in ENERGEX´2004 conference in Lisbon, Portugal.
- IEF Fellow (International Energy Foundation), 1998-present
- Invited by "Der Präsident der Bundesrepublic Deutschland" Johannes Rau to the panel discussion of save energy supply in the Vila Hammerschmidt in the connection to the World Renewables2004 conference in Bonn, 2-5 June 2004.
Computer Programme Developments
- The initial version of the energyPRO computer tool for the design and operation of CHP plants, 1988-90. Afterwards the tool was made commercial by the software company Energy and Environmental Data (EMD). The tool has been used in the project design of most small CHP plants in Denmark.
- EnergyBALANCE (1995-2000). A simple Excel spreadsheet model. Now made available as part of local energy planning tool.
- EnergyPLAN (1995-present). Model for the system analysis of large-scale integration of renewable energy into the electricity supply: www.EnergyPLAN.eu
- Kristine Askeland - ongoing
- Susana Paardekooper - ongoing
- Lars Grundahl, District Heating Potential and a Danish Heat Atlas Based on Metered Heat Demand Data, 2017
- Jakob Zinck Thellufsen, Contextual Aspects of Smart City Energy Systems Analysis, 2017.
- Peter Sorknæs, Bidding and operation strategies in the future energy markets - The transition of small district heating plants into market-based energy systems, 2015
- Steffen Nielsen, Zero Emission Bulidings and Energy Systems Analysis, 2014.
- Anna Carlson, Wind Power in US, 2014.
- Liu Wen, The Integration of Sustainable Transport into Future Renewable Energy Systems in China, 2012.
- David Connolly (Limerick University), The Integration of Fluctuating Renewable Energy Using Energy Storage, 2011.
- Marie Münster, Energy System Analysis of waste-to-Energy Technologies, June 2009.
- Brian Vad Mathiesen, Fuel cells and electrolysers in future energy systems, December 2008.
- Morten Boje Blarke, The missing link in sustainable energy, June 2008.
- Decharut Sukkumnoed, Better Power for Health, February 2007.
- Dr. Dominik F. Dominkovic, Modelling Energy Supply of Future Smart Cities, Technical University of Denmark, 2018.
- Dr. Romain Sacchi, DECOUPLING ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACTS FROM THE ENERGYINTENSIVE PRODUCTION OF CEMENT THE CASE OF AALBORG PORTLAND, Aalborg University 2018.
- Dr. Ahmed Aly, The Prospects for Large-Scale Renewable in Sub-Saharan Africa, Aarhus University, Denmark 2018.
- Dr. Richard van Leeuwen, Towards 100% renewable energy supply for urban areas and the role of smart control, University of Twente, Enschede, the Netherlands, 2017.
- Dr. Lautentiu Dimache, Intelligent Design Methodology and Operations Control of Thermal Hybrid Renewable Energy Systems Operating in Ireland’s Cool Marine Climate, Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology, Galway, Ireland 2015.
- Dr. Sérgio Lima Barroso Pereira, Strategic Planning of Electricity Systems: Integrating Renewable Energies, Universidade do Minho, Portogal 2015.
- Dr. Jeanne Andersen, Modelling and Optimisation of Renewable Energy Systems, Århus University, Denmark 2015.
- Dr. Ma Tao, Study on renewable energy systems with different energy storage solutions for power supply in remote areas, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong 2015.
- Dr. Benjamin Biegel, Distributed Energy Respurces in the Liberalized Electrcitiy Markets, Aalborg University, Denmark 2014.
- Dr. Magnus Åberg, System Effects of Improved Energy Efficiency in Swedish District-Heated Buildings, Uppsala University, Sweden 2014.
- Dr. Pil Soek Kwon, The modelling of future energy scenarios for Denmark, Aalborg University 2014.
- Dr. Tanja Groth, Regulatory impacts in the relation to a renewable fuel CHP technology: A financial and socioeconomic analysis, Århus University, Denmark 2014.
- Dr. Ivan Oropeza-Perez, The Impact of an Extensive Usage of Controlled Natural Ventilation in the Residential Sector on Large-Scale Energy Systems, Aalborg University, Denmark 2014.
- Dr. Silvia Tedesco, Hollander Beater Mechanical Pre-Treatment Assessment to Advance Methane Generation from Irish Indigenous Marine Biomass, Dublin City University, Ireland 2013.
- Dr. Sascha T. Schröder, Wind energy in offshore grids, Danish Technical University, Denmark 2013.
- Dr. Francis Li, Spatially explicit techno-economic optimization modelling of UK heating futures, University College London 2013.
- Dr. Goran Krajacic, The role of Energy Storage in a Planning of 100% Renewable Energy Systems, University of Zagreb, Croatia 2012.
- Dr. Paul Deane, Improved modelling of pumped hydro energy storage, University of Cork, Ireland 2012.
- Dr. Elsa Fahlén, Assessing District-Heating Sustainability, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden 2012.
- Dr. Ambrose Dodoo, Life Cycle Primary Energy Use and Carbon Emission of Residential Buildings, Mid Sweden University 2011.
- Dr. Nina Juul, Modelling and Analysis of Distributed Energy Systems with Respect to Sustainable Energy, Danish Technical University, Denmark 2011.
- Dr. James Carton, Design & Development of Innovative Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells, Dublin City University, Ireland 2011.
- Dr. Lisa Göransson, Wind Power in Thermal Power Systems, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden 2008
- Teaching experience at all levels of engineering education from first semester courses to PhD courses at Aalborg University, 1985-present.
- Various guest lectures at among others: Shanghai Jiao Tong University (2011 and 2015); GMIT Galway (2015); Università degli Studi di Napoli "Parthenope" (2015); Ångström Laboratory Uppsala University (2014); Institute of Engineering (IOE) Nepal (2014); University of the West of Scotland's Paisley campus, Glasgow (2014); University of Limerick (2011); Tsinghua University, Beijing (2010); University of Main at Fork Kent (2010).
- PhD course as Visiting Professor, Università degli Studi di Napoli "Parthenope", Napoli, Italy, February 2015
- Courses at Aalborg University "Life Long" education, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003.
- Sustainable Energy Planning Workshop at Universidad National de Ingeniería, Managua, Nicaragua, March 2006.
- Workshop held at Aalborg University for public officers of the Mozambique Energy Authorities, Spring 2004
- Local Energy Planning Workshop in Surin, Thailand, 2000.
- Courses at "PROCEED 21", 2000-2001.
- Energy Planning Workshop in Bangkok, Thailand, 1999.
- Courses at "Nordic Training Programme for Energy Experts in the Baltic States", the PROCEED Programme, 1997-1998.
- Head of post master education programme in "Energy Planning" and "Distributed CHP generation", 1987-1990.
- Courses at Danish Engineering Associations Educational programme, 1987-1990.